We’d all like to take our hot tub with us when on vacation. But unfortunately, it’s not really practical. Since you can’t take your hot tub with you, we’re here to help you prepare your hot tub before you go out of town. This way, it will be ready for you to jump right back into when you get home, saving you time and energy. All you have to do is take a few minutes to follow the simple steps below.
Test the Chemical Balance
Before leaving your hot tub, you’ll want to analyze the chemical balance to determine if the properties are too alkaline or too acidic. By maintaining your water chemistry, you’ll be minimizing the amount of bacteria that survives in the water while you’re gone.
Thankfully, testing your chemical balance and then adding the proper chemicals is easy! Testing strip instructions vary in their steps, so read your bottle’s instructions carefully. That being said, the basic procedure should be the same. Here are the simple general steps:
- Before testing, turn your bubbling system or jets on for 1 to 2 minutes and let the water circulate.
- After your water has moved around, use a clean plastic bucket to take a sample of the water.
- Dip your test pad into the bucket’s water. Let it sit in the water for about 15 seconds. Try not to place your fingers on the pad because this may contaminate the test pad and give you a false reading.
- Remove the test strip from the bucket and shake off any excess water that may still be on the strip.
- The strip’s pad should change color. Compare this color to your bottle’s testing chart.
- The testing chart will help you understand your water’s chemistry. By looking at the color, you should be able to identify if it’s too acidic or alkaline.
- Once you’ve identified the water’s chemical levels, you can adjust them by adding the appropriate chemicals.
Consider Using ThermoClear™
ThermoClear™ is one of the simplest ways to purify your hot tub water, especially when you’re not using your hot tub. If you have a 300 to 400 gallon spa, all you have to do is add 2 ounces of spa activator to the cartridge before you leave for vacation. It’s as easy as that. You should add 2 ounces of spa activator to your cartridge every week while you’re not using your hot tub. If you’re going to be on vacation for longer than a week, ask a neighbor to add the spa activator for you.
While you’re gone, the spa activator will work to reduce scum lines, minimize foam, keep your water clear and enhance the efficiency of your Ozonator. With ThermoClear, you won’t have to worry about your spa being clean when you get back.
Turn the Temperature Down
Usually, you want to keep your hot tub at a steady temperature to help save energy. If you’re going on vacation, however, and aren’t going to use your hot tub for a while, it’s best to keep your temperature about 15 degrees lower than normal. This way, you’ll save energy and money.
ThermoSpas® hot tubs feature an economy mode, which you should turn on before you go out of town. It’s the easiest and most efficient way to save energy with your hot tub while you’re not using it. While your hot tub is in economy mode, its water temperature will automatically lower until it is 15 degrees cooler than the set temperature. When you get back home, all you have to do is set your hot tub back to standard mode. The water temperature will then rise back to its original setting.
Securely Lock Your Cover
Though it’s always best to lock your hot tub covers after use, it can be easy to forget sometimes. Before you leave, double check that your hot tub cover is securely locked in place. Gently tug on the strap to make sure it doesn’t come loose. Then, try moving your hot tub cover to check if the straps need tightening.
A tightly secured hot tub cover will help keep your hot tub safe from outside debris, weather and bacteria. High quality hot tub covers also help insulate your hot tub, so that your hot tub will be using less energy while you’re out of town.
We hope these steps help to make your vacation preparation a little bit easier. If you have any more questions about hot tub maintenance, feel free to give our customer service representatives a call at 1-800-876-0158. We’d love to help.