on June 21, 2013 in Care & Maintenance
Preserving the shiny, glossy finish of your hot tub shell is easy and simple to do. With just a few minutes of cleaning and the right materials, you can keep your spa looking as beautiful as the day you got it.
Follow our suggestions below to preserve the color and shine of your hot tub shell for years to come.
1. Invest in a good cover:
The first step in preserving your hot tub shell is a good cover. A cover will prevent the shell color from fading and will keep dirt and other debris from getting into your hot tub water.
It’s very important not to expose your hot tub shell to direct sunlight for extended periods of time, and to always keep the cover closed and locked when not in use.
This not only protects your hot tub shell, but it also protects children and pets from getting into the water when they shouldn’t.
2. Keep your water clean:
The next step in preserving your hot tub shell is a regular chemical maintenance program. When your water is sanitized and properly balanced, contaminants that are regularly found in our water, such as iron and copper, are kept out.
These heavy metals can cause your hot tub water to turn brown or green, and can stain the interior of your hot tub.
If your hot tub water is any other color besides clear; read our hot tub water troubleshooting guide to fix it.
3. Use the right products
We recommend giving your hot tub shell a deep clean each time you drain your spa, which works out to be about 3-4 times a year.
It’s important that you only use the correct materials to clean your hot tub shell since bleach and other abrasive household cleaners can change the chemistry of your hot tub water and scratch the shell’s surface.
We recommend the following products to clean and maintain your hot tub shell:
- Use ThermoSpas’ All-Purpose Cleaner on a regular basis to clean the shell surface above the waterline when the spa is filled with water. Since this is a natural enzyme cleaner, it won’t affect your water chemistry. Use the same cleaner when the spa is drained to give it a deeper clean. Simply spray on and wipe the shell surface with a soft cloth or rag. Our All-Purpose Cleaner doubles as a household cleaner for outdoor furniture, pool tile, and more. It also fights mildew and mold without the bleaching.
- Next, bring back the gloss, hide scratches and prevent water lines by applying Thermo Gloss. This polish chemically bonds to the surface of the shell once applied; resulting in a high gloss, protective coating. Leave on for 10 minutes after cleaning with the All-Purpose Cleaner, and then wipe clean.
- To aide in the removal of harder to clean water lines and stains, we recommend using the Scum Mitt. One side of the latex mitten is an abrasive scrubbing mitt that’s safe for use on acrylic, vinyl, fiberglass or even your shower, boat or patio furniture! For even tougher jobs, we suggest the Mytee Mitt. It’s more abrasive than the Scum Mitt, and designed for tougher hot tub cleaning jobs like removing algae, rust, mildew and mold with less effort, in less time. It’s also machine washable.
A few extra minutes of care is all it takes to keep your spa running in top shape and looking like new so you can spend more time doing what you love to do – relaxing in your clean and sparkling hot tub!
Sign up for E-Mail updates
Subscribe to our RSS feed to receive e-mail updates
Notice: WP_Query was called with an argument that is deprecated since version 3.1! "caller_get_posts" is deprecated. Use "ignore_sticky_posts" instead. in /var/www/vhosts/thermospas.com/httpdocs/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3495
- What is White Water Mold and Pink Slime?
- Too Much Chlorine in Your Hot Tub? Here’s How to Fix It
- What Are the White Flakes in My Hot Tub Water?
- What To Do With Your Hot Tub While You’re On Vacation
- Preparing Your Hot Tub for Winter